Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
This recipe might take a little more work but it is well worth the effort. Your guests will be delighted by the amazing flavor.
1 ¼ sticks butter
2 cups cubed rhubarb
1 teaspoon cornstarch
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar
1 cup flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons plain yogurt
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line the bottom of an 8 inch round pan with a layer of aluminum foil and then a layer of parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, mix rhubarb, cornstarch and 1/4 cup granulated sugar.
3. Mix the brown sugar and 1/2 stick butter in a pan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Whip remaining butter in a mixer with a paddle attachment or by hand for 2 minutes. With your fingers, blend the remaining sugar with 1 teaspoon lemon juice until the mixture is uniform in color. Cream together with the butter until it is light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix well. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the yogurt, then the remaining lemon juice. The mixture will now look curdled, this is normal. Add the flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, until well combined.
5. Pour the brown-sugar mixture into the cake pan, then spoon in the rhubarb mixture. Pour on the batter so it covers all of the rhubarb. Smooth out the top.
6. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top of the cake is firm to touch and a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out without any large, moist crumbs.
7. Place the pan on a wire rack, and cool for 15 minutes. Place a plate on top of the pan and turn it upside-down to release.