Bergamot Orange Blossom Loaf
Updated: Mar 29, 2020
This makes a delicious breakfast or afternoon snack. It pairs perfectly with a fresh mug of black tea.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 generous cup granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
3 teaspoons orange blossom extract
6-8 medium sprigs of fresh bergamot (leaves only)
¼ cup butter, melted
¾-1 tablespoon vanilla extract
cranberries, chocolate chips, or pecans if desired.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line one 9"x5" loaf pan or 3 mini loaves with butter or parchment paper.
2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl, using a whisk until well blended.
3. Whisk in the egg, milk, orange blossom extract, vanilla extract, and melted butter.
4. Use a food processor or clean coffee grinder to grind up the bergamot leaves. Stir these into your batter. Transfer the batter into your prepared pans.
5. Bake for about 50 minutes for large loaf and 30 minutes for mini loaves. It's done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. For extra style, add a single leaf of bergamot to the top of the loaf when done baking.
Cool on a rack, then gently slide a sharp knife around the bread to loosen and remove from the pans.